- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound lentils (dry, washed, soaking not necessary)
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 carrot (large, cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 4 celery stalk (large)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can whole tomatoes 916 ounce, cut into pieces or 3-4 fresh tomatoes cut in wedges)
1. Melt butter in a large skillet.
2. Sauté onion until tender.
3. Add water, lentils, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, and garlic powder.
4. Cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Add carrots, celery, and salt.
6. Cover and simmer 30 minutes more or until the vegetables are tender.
7. Add tomatoes. Heat thoroughly and serve.