- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cups broccoli (cut)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried, crushed)
- 2 bay leaves (small)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper (optional)
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 dash garlic powder (optional)
1. In a saucepan combine chicken broth, chopped onion, broccoli, thyme, bay leaf and garlic powder. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
2. Place half of the mixture in a blender or food processor, cover and blend 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth. Pour into a bowl; repeat with remaining vegetable mixture, set all aside.
3. In the same saucepan melt the margarine. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add the milk all at once, stirring rapidly with a wire whisk. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in the blended broccoli mixture. Cook and stir until soup is heated through. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.