- 1 canola cooking spray (as needed)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 celery (medium stalk, ends trimmed and chopped)
- 2 cups rice (brown, uncooked)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth (fat-free, reduced sodium)
- 1/4 cup raisins (dark)
- 1/4 cup apricots (dried, chopped)
- 4 cups walnuts (chopped, optional)
- 1 teaspoon sage (dried)
- 2 tablespoons sage (fresh, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons salt (to taste, optional)
- 2 tablespoons pepper (to taste, optional)
1. Spray the large skillet with canola cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat.
2. Sauté onion and celery until tender, about 5 minutes. Add brown rice and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add water, broth, raisins, and apricots; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes.
4. Stir in walnuts if desired, sage, salt and pepper.
5. Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with fresh sage and serve immediately.