Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen skinless cod, sole, or flounder fillets, 1/2 thick
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 flour tortillas
- store-bought pineapple salsa
1. Thaw fish, if frozen. Arrange fish in a 2-quart square baking dish; set aside.
2. In a small bowl mix together lemon juice, oil, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pour over fish.
3. Turn fish to coat with marinade. Cover and chill for 15 minutes. Drain fish, discarding any marinade. Stack tortillas and wrap in foil.
4. Brush the hot grill rack with vegetable oil; grill fish on the greased rack of an uncovered grill for 4 to 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork (fish may also be cooked on a stovetop in a nonstick pan over medium heat).
5. Warm tortillas on the grill or in a 250 degree oven for several minutes.
6. Transfer fish to a cutting board. Cut or flake fish into 1-inch pieces. Serve in warmed tortillas topped with pineapple salsa.
- 3 tbsp whole-grain or Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika or ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 4-oz skinless, center-cut, wild-caught salmon fillets
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Combine mustard, maple syrup, paprika (or chipotle), pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Place salmon fillets on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the mustard mixture evenly on the salmon. Roast until just cooked through (approx. 8-12minutes).
Quick Tips: Smoked paprika is made from smoke-dried,red peppers and adds earthy, smoky flavor. It can be used in many types of savory dishes. Look for different types of paprika at large supermarkets or online.Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (Alaska and Washington) are more sustainably fished and have a larger, more stable population.
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic clove (crushed, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 can tomatoes (15 1/2 ounce, drained and chopped)
- 1 pinch red pepper (ground)
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried)
- 2/3 cups non-fat milk (NDM) (+2 cups water or substitute 2 cups nonfat milk for the reconstituted NDM)
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
1. In a medium saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add chopped tomatoes.
3. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. Spoon 3/4 of mixture into food processor or blender container; puree until smooth. Return to saucepan.
5. Add red pepper, basil, and reconstitute NDM to the soup. Heat until hot but do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper (optional). Serve immediately.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (or margarine)
- 1 cup rice, regular, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons onion (minced)
- 1/2 cup carrot (chopped or grated)
- 2 cups water
- 4 egg (beaten)
- 4 egg whites (beaten)
- 1/4 cup milk, non-fat
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
1. In a frying pan over medium heat, cook rice, minced onion, and carrots in oil, stirring often until lightly browned.
2. Slowly add water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Beat eggs in bowl. Stir in milk, peas, and soy sauce. Pour over hot rice mixture in fry pan.
4. Cook on medium heat. As mixture begins to thicken, gently draw a spatula across bottom and sides of pan. This allows egg mixture to cook. Continue until eggs are firm.
- 3/4 cups wheat and barley nugget cereal
- 1/4 cup bran cereal (100%)
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds (toasted)
- 2 teaspoons almonds (toasted, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1/2 cup banana (sliced)
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced)
- 1 cup yogurt (raspberry or strawberry, low-fat)
1. Mix the wheat and barley nugget cereal, bran cereal, sunflower seeds, and almonds in a medium bowl.
2. Add the raisins, the bananas, and halve the strawberries.
3. Gently stir in the yogurt and divide between two bowls.
4. Scatter the remaining strawberries over the top and enjoy!