Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 1 canola cooking spray (as needed)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 celery (medium stalk, ends trimmed and chopped)
- 2 cups rice (brown, uncooked)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth (fat-free, reduced sodium)
- 1/4 cup raisins (dark)
- 1/4 cup apricots (dried, chopped)
- 4 cups walnuts (chopped, optional)
- 1 teaspoon sage (dried)
- 2 tablespoons sage (fresh, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons salt (to taste, optional)
- 2 tablespoons pepper (to taste, optional)
1. Spray the large skillet with canola cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat.
2. Sauté onion and celery until tender, about 5 minutes. Add brown rice and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add water, broth, raisins, and apricots; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes.
4. Stir in walnuts if desired, sage, salt and pepper.
5. Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with fresh sage and serve immediately.
- 6 pork chops (lean center-cut, 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 onion (medium, thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cupgreen pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup red pepper (chopped)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim fat from pork chops. Place chops in a 13×9-inch baking pan.
- Spread onion and peppers on top of chops. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cover pan and cook 30 minutes.
- Uncover, turn chops and re-cover with onions and peppers, and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- 2 cups water
- 8 garlic clove (unpeeled)
- 6 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped, divided)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (grated)
- 1 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning blend
- 4 chicken breast (4 ounce, with skin)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add garlic; cook for 10 minutes. Drain garlic, peel and cut into thin slices. In a small bowl, combine garlic, 1/2 cup of chopped parsley, lemon zest, and seasoning. Mix well.
2. Loosen skin from each chicken breast to form a pocket. Place about 1 teaspoon of garlic mixture under skin of each breast. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add chicken skin-side down; cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken; reduce heat to medium.
4. Cover and cook until no longer pink in center, about 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Wipe any fat away from the skillet.
5. Add remaining chopped parsley, broth, and lemon juice to pan. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Spoon mixture over chicken.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 red cabbage (medium head, about 2 cups, finely shredded)
- 2 ripe tomatoes (medium, seeded and chopped)
- 1/2 cup canned artichoke hearts(drained and chopped)
- 1 cup green peas (frozen or fresh)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable juice (low-sodium tomato)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- salt and pepper (freshly ground black pepper, optional, to taste)
1. In large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté cabbage, tomatoes, artichoke hearts and peas for 10 minutes.
2. Add tomato juice and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, add basil and simmer for 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender and soup is piping hot.
3. Serve in individual serving bowls. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3/4 cups wheat and barley nugget cereal
- 1/4 cup bran cereal (100%)
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds (toasted)
- 2 teaspoons almonds (toasted, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1/2 cup banana (sliced)
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced)
- 1 cup yogurt (raspberry or strawberry, low-fat)
1. Mix the wheat and barley nugget cereal, bran cereal, sunflower seeds, and almonds in a medium bowl.
2. Add the raisins, the bananas, and halve the strawberries.
3. Gently stir in the yogurt and divide between two bowls.
4. Scatter the remaining strawberries over the top and enjoy!