Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 8 oz. whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked
- 1 tbsp. tub margarine
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2 tsp. prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives or scallions
- 1/4 tsp. paprika (optional)s
Combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne in a saucepan; gradually add chicken broth and skim milk, stirring with a wire whisk until smooth. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add mustard and lemon juice. Allow to cool. Heat margarine and oil in a skillet. Add chicken pieces, green onions and garlic. Sauté until chicken is just firm and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Prepare pasta according to package directions and drain. Combine sauce, chicken and pasta mixture. Put into a 2 ½-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle top with almonds, chopped chives and paprika (if using). Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 1 head of cabbage (chopped)
- 2 carrots (small, grated)
- 1 onion (small)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sald
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
1. Blanch the cabbage with boiling water for 1 minute. Discard the water.
2. Place the cabbage in a large bowl and add grated carrots, sliced onion, red pepper, oregano, olive oil, salt, brown sugar, vinegar, and water.
3. Place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- 1 honeydew melon
- 1 package gelatin, lemon flavored (3 ounce)
- 1/2 cup water (boiling)
- 1/2 cup water (iced)
- ice cubes
- 1 cup whole strawberries (hulled)
1. Cut melon in half; scoop out seeds.
2. Pat the inside of the melon dry using paper towels.
3. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
4. Combine ice water and ice cubes to make one cup.
5. Add to gelatin and stir until slightly thickened.
6. Remove any un-melted ice.
7. Place each melon half in a small bowl to hold straight and firm.
8. Place half of strawberries in each melon half.
9. Pour gelatin mixture over berries.
10. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 3 hours.
11. To serve, cut into wedges.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked (non-instant) white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
1. In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the oil and garlic and cook until soft, about four minutes.
2. Add the rice and cook for about two minutes, stirring constantly, so as not to burn.
3. Add the water, spices, beans, corn, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Serve alone or make into burritos by wrapping filling in a flour tortilla. Serve with shredded lettuce and fresh tomatoes if you like.
- 5 sweet potatoes (cooked)
- 4 apple
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons honey
1. Boil 5 sweet potatoes in water until they are almost tender.
2. After the sweet potatoes cool, peel and slice them.
3. Peel the apples. Remove the cores, and slice the apples.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
5. Grease the casserole dish with butter or margarine.
6. Put a layer of sweet potatoes on the bottom of the dish.
7. Add a layer of apple slices.
8. Add some sugar, salt, and tiny pieces of margarine to the apple layer.
9. Repeat steps 6, 7, and 8 to make more layers of sweet potatoes, apples, and sugar/salt.
10. On the top layer of apples, sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar and margarine pieces.
11. Sprinkle the top layer with nutmeg.
12. Mix the hot water and honey together. Pour the mix over the top layer.
13. Bake for about 30 minutes until apples are tender.