Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 1 1/2 pound pork tenderloin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 envelop Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 425°. In small roasting or baking pan, arrange pork. Season with pepper and rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast uncovered 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine remaining olive oil, Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Onion Soup Mix , apple juice and brown sugar. Pour over pork and continue roasting 10 minutes or until pork is done.
3. Remove pork to serving platter; cover with aluminum foil.
4. Place roasting pan over medium-high heat and bring pan juices to a boil, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Stir in water and flour and boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thickened.
5. To serve, thinly slice pork.
- 3/4 cups wheat and barley nugget cereal
- 1/4 cup bran cereal (100%)
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds (toasted)
- 2 teaspoons almonds (toasted, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1/2 cup banana (sliced)
- 1 cup strawberries (sliced)
- 1 cup yogurt (raspberry or strawberry, low-fat)
1. Mix the wheat and barley nugget cereal, bran cereal, sunflower seeds, and almonds in a medium bowl.
2. Add the raisins, the bananas, and halve the strawberries.
3. Gently stir in the yogurt and divide between two bowls.
4. Scatter the remaining strawberries over the top and enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) roasting chicken
- 12 ounces red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and sage in a small bowl. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Rub garlic mixture under loosened skin. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack of a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Place rack in broiler pan.
3. Combine potatoes, squash, butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Arrange vegetable mixture around chicken. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until a thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 165°. Let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked (non-instant) white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
1. In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the oil and garlic and cook until soft, about four minutes.
2. Add the rice and cook for about two minutes, stirring constantly, so as not to burn.
3. Add the water, spices, beans, corn, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Serve alone or make into burritos by wrapping filling in a flour tortilla. Serve with shredded lettuce and fresh tomatoes if you like.
- 1 eggplant (medium)
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (grated)
1. Remove the skin from the eggplant. Cut the eggplant into cubes.
2. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
3. Cut the green pepper in half. Remove the seeds and cut it into small pieces.
4. Chop the onion into small pieces.
5. Cut the garlic into tiny pieces.
6. Cook the first 8 ingredients in a large skillet until tender.
7. Top with the Parmesan cheese and serve.