Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 4 apples (cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 can cranberry sauce (16 ounce, whole)
- 2 teaspoons margarine (soft melted)
- 1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash apples, remove cores and slice thinly, keeping peel on.
3. In a bowl, combine the cranberries and apples. Pour into an 8×8 inch pan.
4. Combine melted margarine with oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon until well blended. Sprinkle over apple/cranberry mixture.
5. Cover and bake for 15 minutes.
6. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes until the topping is crisp and brown.
7. Serve warm or cold.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen peas (from 2, 10-oz. packages)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 4 thin slices of reduced sodium Black Forest ham
- 1 cup croutons
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
1. Warm 1 Tbsp. oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add peas, broth and 1 cup water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until peas are very soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Working in batches if necessary, puree soup in a blender and return to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half and season generously with salt and pepper. Keep warm over medium-low heat.
2. Warm remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat until hot. Sauté ham in batches until browned and curled around the edges, turning once, about 1 minute total. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
3. Ladle soup into bowls. Tear ham into bite-size pieces and add some to each bowl. Scatter croutons over soup and serve immediately.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked (non-instant) white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
1. In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the oil and garlic and cook until soft, about four minutes.
2. Add the rice and cook for about two minutes, stirring constantly, so as not to burn.
3. Add the water, spices, beans, corn, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Serve alone or make into burritos by wrapping filling in a flour tortilla. Serve with shredded lettuce and fresh tomatoes if you like.
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion (small, minced)
- 1 slice whole wheat bread (stale, crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes (16 oz)
- 1 onion (small, sliced)
- 1 cup water
- 1 carrot (medium, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons corn starch
1. Rinse and core cabbage. Carefully remove 10 outer leaves, place in saucepan, and cover with boiling water. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove and drain cooked cabbage leaves on paper towels.
2. Shred 1/2 cup of raw cabbage and set aside.
3. Brown ground beef and turkey and minced onion in skillet. Drain fat.
4. Place cooked and drained meat mixture, bread crumbs, water, and pepper into mixing bowl.
5. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid, and add 1/2 cup of tomato juice from can to meat mixture. Mix well; then place 1/4 cup of filling on each parboiled, drained cabbage leaf. Place folded side down in skillet.
6. Add tomatoes, sliced onion, water, shredded cabbage, and carrot. Cover and simmer about 1 hour (or until cabbage is tender), basting occasionally.
7. Remove cabbage rolls to serving platter; keep warm.
8. Mix lemon juice, brown sugar, and cornstarch together in small bowl. Add to vegetables and liquid in skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and clear. Serve over cabbage rolls.
- 1 eggplant (medium)
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (grated)
1. Remove the skin from the eggplant. Cut the eggplant into cubes.
2. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
3. Cut the green pepper in half. Remove the seeds and cut it into small pieces.
4. Chop the onion into small pieces.
5. Cut the garlic into tiny pieces.
6. Cook the first 8 ingredients in a large skillet until tender.
7. Top with the Parmesan cheese and serve.