Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, low fat (whipped)
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1/2 teaspoon ranch seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup broccoli (washed and chopped)
- 1/4 cup carrot (peeled and grated)
- 1/4 cup zucchini (washed and cut into small strips)
- 1/4 cup summer squash (yellow, washed and cut into small strips)
- 1/2 tomato (diced)
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 2 tablespoons chives (chopped fine)
- In a small bowl, stir ranch seasoning into cream cheese, chill.
- Wash and chop vegetables.
- Steam broccoli in microwave for 1 minute with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Spread cream cheese onto flour tortilla, staying one inch from edge. Sprinkle vegetables over cream cheese. Roll tortilla tightly.
- Chill for 1-2 hours before serving (the wrap will hold its shape better). With a sharp knife slice into circles and serve.
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cups broccoli (cut)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried, crushed)
- 2 bay leaves (small)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper (optional)
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 dash garlic powder (optional)
1. In a saucepan combine chicken broth, chopped onion, broccoli, thyme, bay leaf and garlic powder. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
2. Place half of the mixture in a blender or food processor, cover and blend 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth. Pour into a bowl; repeat with remaining vegetable mixture, set all aside.
3. In the same saucepan melt the margarine. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add the milk all at once, stirring rapidly with a wire whisk. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in the blended broccoli mixture. Cook and stir until soup is heated through. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- 1 teaspoon oil or margarine
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken, boneless skinless
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can pineapple juice, frozen concentrate (6 ounces)
- 2 cans water (12 ounces)
1. Defrost the pineapple juice.
2. Grease a large frying pan. Heat the pan on low.
3. Put the chicken parts in the hot pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Cook until the chicken begins to brown.
5. Add the defrosted pineapple juice to the pan.
6. Swish the water in the can, and add it to the pan.
7. Cover and cook slowly, turning now and then, for 50 minutes or until the chicken is fork tender.
8. Put the chicken on a warm platter.
9. Skim the fat from the chicken juices in the pan.
10. Boil down the juices until they are slightly thickened (about 5 minutes).
11. Return the chicken to the pan. Reheat it for a few minutes.
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion (small, minced)
- 1 slice whole wheat bread (stale, crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes (16 oz)
- 1 onion (small, sliced)
- 1 cup water
- 1 carrot (medium, sliced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons corn starch
1. Rinse and core cabbage. Carefully remove 10 outer leaves, place in saucepan, and cover with boiling water. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove and drain cooked cabbage leaves on paper towels.
2. Shred 1/2 cup of raw cabbage and set aside.
3. Brown ground beef and turkey and minced onion in skillet. Drain fat.
4. Place cooked and drained meat mixture, bread crumbs, water, and pepper into mixing bowl.
5. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid, and add 1/2 cup of tomato juice from can to meat mixture. Mix well; then place 1/4 cup of filling on each parboiled, drained cabbage leaf. Place folded side down in skillet.
6. Add tomatoes, sliced onion, water, shredded cabbage, and carrot. Cover and simmer about 1 hour (or until cabbage is tender), basting occasionally.
7. Remove cabbage rolls to serving platter; keep warm.
8. Mix lemon juice, brown sugar, and cornstarch together in small bowl. Add to vegetables and liquid in skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and clear. Serve over cabbage rolls.
- 1 pound ground beef, or turkey, 7% fat (93% lean)
- 2 bunches spinach (washed and cut into pieces may substitute a 1-pound bag of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained)
- 1/2 onion (small, finely chopped)
- 2 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups brown rice
- black pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat frying pan (no oil).
2. Combine all ingredients except brown rice in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
3. Form mixture into 12 small balls. Place in frying pan and flatten into patties using a spatula.
4. Cook over medium heat until cooked on both sides.
5. Serve over brown rice.