Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 5 sweet potatoes (cooked)
- 4 apple
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons honey
1. Boil 5 sweet potatoes in water until they are almost tender.
2. After the sweet potatoes cool, peel and slice them.
3. Peel the apples. Remove the cores, and slice the apples.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
5. Grease the casserole dish with butter or margarine.
6. Put a layer of sweet potatoes on the bottom of the dish.
7. Add a layer of apple slices.
8. Add some sugar, salt, and tiny pieces of margarine to the apple layer.
9. Repeat steps 6, 7, and 8 to make more layers of sweet potatoes, apples, and sugar/salt.
10. On the top layer of apples, sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar and margarine pieces.
11. Sprinkle the top layer with nutmeg.
12. Mix the hot water and honey together. Pour the mix over the top layer.
13. Bake for about 30 minutes until apples are tender.
- 1 vegetable oil spray (non-stick)
- 2 cartons spinach (12 ounce, frozen, thawed)
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup egg-white substitute (liquid)
- 3/4 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded fat-free)
- 1 cup milk (fat-free)
- 1/2 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (low-sodium)
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram (dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary (dried)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Place thawed spinach in a colander and press to remove excess water.
- Place the spinach in a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cut the casserole into eight squares and serve. This casserole can be prepared 1 day in advance and refrigerated.
- Stir the onion, tomato sauce and spices together in a small bowl.
- Pour the onion-spice mix evenly over the fish pieces.
- Bake about 10 to 20 minutes, until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- 1 lb beef (top round)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard (dry)
- 8 potatoes (red-skinned, halved)
- 3 cups onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 garlic clove (large, minced)
- 2 carrot (large, peeled, cut into very thin 2 1/2 inch strips)
- 2 kale (bunches)
- non-stick cooking spray
1. Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into long strips 1/8 inch thick and 3 inches wide.
2. Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with the spice mixture.
3. Spray a large heavy skillet nonstick cooking spray. Preheat pan over high heat.
4. Add meat; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Add potatoes, onion, broth, and garlic. Cook covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
6. Stir in carrots, lay greens over top and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
7. Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1 1/2 pound chicken (skinless breasts, drumsticks)
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in saucepan.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place chicken on large platter and brush with half the sauce mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Place chicken on baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 10 minutes on each side to seal in juices.
- Remove from broiler and add remaining sauce to chicken. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 1 honeydew melon
- 1 package gelatin, lemon flavored (3 ounce)
- 1/2 cup water (boiling)
- 1/2 cup water (iced)
- ice cubes
- 1 cup whole strawberries (hulled)
1. Cut melon in half; scoop out seeds.
2. Pat the inside of the melon dry using paper towels.
3. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
4. Combine ice water and ice cubes to make one cup.
5. Add to gelatin and stir until slightly thickened.
6. Remove any un-melted ice.
7. Place each melon half in a small bowl to hold straight and firm.
8. Place half of strawberries in each melon half.
9. Pour gelatin mixture over berries.
10. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 3 hours.
11. To serve, cut into wedges.