Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 2 cups water
- 8 garlic clove (unpeeled)
- 6 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped, divided)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (grated)
- 1 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning blend
- 4 chicken breast (4 ounce, with skin)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (reduced sodium)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add garlic; cook for 10 minutes. Drain garlic, peel and cut into thin slices. In a small bowl, combine garlic, 1/2 cup of chopped parsley, lemon zest, and seasoning. Mix well.
2. Loosen skin from each chicken breast to form a pocket. Place about 1 teaspoon of garlic mixture under skin of each breast. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add chicken skin-side down; cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken; reduce heat to medium.
4. Cover and cook until no longer pink in center, about 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Wipe any fat away from the skillet.
5. Add remaining chopped parsley, broth, and lemon juice to pan. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Spoon mixture over chicken.
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic clove (crushed, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 can tomatoes (15 1/2 ounce, drained and chopped)
- 1 pinch red pepper (ground)
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried)
- 2/3 cups non-fat milk (NDM) (+2 cups water or substitute 2 cups nonfat milk for the reconstituted NDM)
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
1. In a medium saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add chopped tomatoes.
3. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. Spoon 3/4 of mixture into food processor or blender container; puree until smooth. Return to saucepan.
5. Add red pepper, basil, and reconstitute NDM to the soup. Heat until hot but do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper (optional). Serve immediately.
- 4 ounces spaghetti (whole grain, regular or thin)
- 4 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional, can omit salt and pass at the table)
- 2/3 cups cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in a 9-inch pie plate that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Combine eggs, seasonings, cheese and peas. Spread the egg mixture over the top of the spaghetti so the mixture covers the frittata and some of it sinks between the spaghetti strands.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let frittata stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound turkery, sausage, casings removed
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasonings, depending on your spiciness preference
- 2 (15-ounce) cans red beans (kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomaotes
- 2 cups cooked long grain brown rice
1. Cook rice according to package instructions.
2. In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage, garlic, pepper, onion, and celery. 3. Break sausage into bite-sized pieces as it cooks. Stir until sausage is cooked all the way through and vegetables are tender.
4. Add the seasoning, beans, water, and tomatoes. Mix well with the sausage. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Serve over hot, cooked rice.
- 5 sweet potatoes (cooked)
- 4 apple
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons honey
1. Boil 5 sweet potatoes in water until they are almost tender.
2. After the sweet potatoes cool, peel and slice them.
3. Peel the apples. Remove the cores, and slice the apples.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
5. Grease the casserole dish with butter or margarine.
6. Put a layer of sweet potatoes on the bottom of the dish.
7. Add a layer of apple slices.
8. Add some sugar, salt, and tiny pieces of margarine to the apple layer.
9. Repeat steps 6, 7, and 8 to make more layers of sweet potatoes, apples, and sugar/salt.
10. On the top layer of apples, sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar and margarine pieces.
11. Sprinkle the top layer with nutmeg.
12. Mix the hot water and honey together. Pour the mix over the top layer.
13. Bake for about 30 minutes until apples are tender.