Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion (medium)
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini (medium)
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
1. Peel the onion. Cut it into thin slices.
2. Slice the yellow squash into thin round pieces.
3. Slice the zucchini into thin round pieces.
4. Chop the red pepper into small pieces.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan or stir-fry pan. Add the onion slices.
6. Cook over medium heat, stirring quickly for 1 minute.
7. Add the spices and stir a few times.
8. Add remaining vegetables and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- 1 eggplant (medium)
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (grated)
1. Remove the skin from the eggplant. Cut the eggplant into cubes.
2. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
3. Cut the green pepper in half. Remove the seeds and cut it into small pieces.
4. Chop the onion into small pieces.
5. Cut the garlic into tiny pieces.
6. Cook the first 8 ingredients in a large skillet until tender.
7. Top with the Parmesan cheese and serve.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onion (sliced)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 3 new potatoes (tiny, quartered)
- 3/4 cups carrot (sliced)
- 3/4 cups asparagus pieces
- 3/4 cups sugar snap peas, or green beans
- 1/2 cup radishes (quartered)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill (dried)
1. Heat the oil in a skillet. Cook the onion 2 minutes, add the garlic and cook another minute
2. Stir in the potatoes and carrots. Cover, turn the heat to low, and cook until almost tender, about 4 minutes.
3. If the vegetables start to brown, add a Tablespoon or 2 of water.
4. Now add the asparagus, peas, radishes, salt, pepper, and dill. Cook, stirring often, until just tender – about 4 minutes more.
5. Serve immediately.
- 1 lb beef (top round)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard (dry)
- 8 potatoes (red-skinned, halved)
- 3 cups onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 garlic clove (large, minced)
- 2 carrot (large, peeled, cut into very thin 2 1/2 inch strips)
- 2 kale (bunches)
- non-stick cooking spray
1. Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into long strips 1/8 inch thick and 3 inches wide.
2. Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with the spice mixture.
3. Spray a large heavy skillet nonstick cooking spray. Preheat pan over high heat.
4. Add meat; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Add potatoes, onion, broth, and garlic. Cook covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
6. Stir in carrots, lay greens over top and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
7. Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
- 1 vegetable oil spray (non-stick)
- 2 cartons spinach (12 ounce, frozen, thawed)
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup egg-white substitute (liquid)
- 3/4 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded fat-free)
- 1 cup milk (fat-free)
- 1/2 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (low-sodium)
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram (dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary (dried)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Place thawed spinach in a colander and press to remove excess water.
- Place the spinach in a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cut the casserole into eight squares and serve. This casserole can be prepared 1 day in advance and refrigerated.
- Stir the onion, tomato sauce and spices together in a small bowl.
- Pour the onion-spice mix evenly over the fish pieces.
- Bake about 10 to 20 minutes, until the fish flakes easily with a fork.