Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen skinless cod, sole, or flounder fillets, 1/2 thick
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 flour tortillas
- store-bought pineapple salsa
1. Thaw fish, if frozen. Arrange fish in a 2-quart square baking dish; set aside.
2. In a small bowl mix together lemon juice, oil, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pour over fish.
3. Turn fish to coat with marinade. Cover and chill for 15 minutes. Drain fish, discarding any marinade. Stack tortillas and wrap in foil.
4. Brush the hot grill rack with vegetable oil; grill fish on the greased rack of an uncovered grill for 4 to 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork (fish may also be cooked on a stovetop in a nonstick pan over medium heat).
5. Warm tortillas on the grill or in a 250 degree oven for several minutes.
6. Transfer fish to a cutting board. Cut or flake fish into 1-inch pieces. Serve in warmed tortillas topped with pineapple salsa.
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1 1/2 pound chicken (skinless breasts, drumsticks)
- Combine all ingredients except chicken in saucepan.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place chicken on large platter and brush with half the sauce mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Place chicken on baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 10 minutes on each side to seal in juices.
- Remove from broiler and add remaining sauce to chicken. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 1 lb beef (top round)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard (dry)
- 8 potatoes (red-skinned, halved)
- 3 cups onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 garlic clove (large, minced)
- 2 carrot (large, peeled, cut into very thin 2 1/2 inch strips)
- 2 kale (bunches)
- non-stick cooking spray
1. Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into long strips 1/8 inch thick and 3 inches wide.
2. Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with the spice mixture.
3. Spray a large heavy skillet nonstick cooking spray. Preheat pan over high heat.
4. Add meat; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Add potatoes, onion, broth, and garlic. Cook covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
6. Stir in carrots, lay greens over top and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
7. Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, low fat (whipped)
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1/2 teaspoon ranch seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup broccoli (washed and chopped)
- 1/4 cup carrot (peeled and grated)
- 1/4 cup zucchini (washed and cut into small strips)
- 1/4 cup summer squash (yellow, washed and cut into small strips)
- 1/2 tomato (diced)
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 2 tablespoons chives (chopped fine)
- In a small bowl, stir ranch seasoning into cream cheese, chill.
- Wash and chop vegetables.
- Steam broccoli in microwave for 1 minute with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Spread cream cheese onto flour tortilla, staying one inch from edge. Sprinkle vegetables over cream cheese. Roll tortilla tightly.
- Chill for 1-2 hours before serving (the wrap will hold its shape better). With a sharp knife slice into circles and serve.
- 3 pounds chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 cups tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup mild chiles (canned and diced)
- 2 cups pinto or garbanzo beans, canned, drained, or cooked and drained
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
1. Place chicken pieces in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover.
2. Cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
3. Remove chicken pieces from the broth.
4. Add tomatoes, garlic, onion, and chilies.
5. Remove chicken meat from the bones and return meat to broth.
6. Add beans and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 15 minutes.