Your favorite foods can be more nutritious with the right preparation and cooking methods. Sometimes changing a couple ingredients – such as the type and amount of oil you use – can make a big difference in the overall nutrition of the dish. Healthy recipes can be quick, simple and affordable to make.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 3 garlic (cloves, minced)
- 2 cups black beans (cooked)
- 1 can kernel corn (7 ounces, drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups prepared salsa (divided)
- 8 corn totillas
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
1. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion and garlic 2-3 minutes.
2. Add beans, corn, cumin and ½ cup salsa. Cook 3-4 minutes, coarsely mashing beans with back of spoon.
3. Spoon 1/3 cup filling onto each tortilla; roll up.
4. Spoon ½ cup salsa into 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish. Arrange tortillas seam side down; top with remaining 1 cup sauce.
5. Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Uncover; top with cheese. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cups broccoli (cut)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried, crushed)
- 2 bay leaves (small)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper (optional)
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 dash garlic powder (optional)
1. In a saucepan combine chicken broth, chopped onion, broccoli, thyme, bay leaf and garlic powder. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
2. Place half of the mixture in a blender or food processor, cover and blend 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth. Pour into a bowl; repeat with remaining vegetable mixture, set all aside.
3. In the same saucepan melt the margarine. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add the milk all at once, stirring rapidly with a wire whisk. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in the blended broccoli mixture. Cook and stir until soup is heated through. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- 1/2 loaf Italian or French bread (split lengthwise, or 2 split English muffins)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella or cheddar cheese (low-fat, shredded)
- 3 tablespoons green pepper (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons mushrooms (fresh or canned, sliced)
- vegetable toppings (other, as desired, optional)
- Italian seasoning (optional)
- Toast the bread or English muffin until slightly brown.
- Top bread or muffin with pizza sauce, vegetables and low-fat cheese.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasonings as desired.
- Return bread to toaster oven (or regular oven preheated to 350 degrees).
- Heat until cheese melts.
- 2 pork chops
- 1 sweet potato (peeled)
- 1/2 orange (sliced)
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
- 1 dash salt (optional)
- 1 dash black pepper (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a medium skillet, brown pork chops in a small amount of oil.
2. Cut sweet potato into 1/2-inch slices.
3. Place meat and sweet potato slices in a baking dish and top with orange slices; sprinkle with seasonings if desired.
4. Cover and bake for 1 hour until meat is tender.
- 3 potatoes
- 1 cup turkey or chicken, diced and cooked
- 1 cup broccoli (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup carrot (thinly sliced)
- 3/4 cups water (hot)
- 3/4 cups non-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded low-fat
1. Wash your hands and work area.
2. Scrub potatoes. Remove any bad spots. Do not peel. Cut each in half.
3. In a covered saucepan, boil potatoes in just enough water to cover the pieces. When they are fork-tender (about 15-20 minutes), remove from heat and drain. Set aside. (Note: you can also pierce whole potatoes with a knife in several place and cook in microwave without water until fork tender, then cut each in half)
4. Meanwhile, in a skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, combine cooked meat, broccoli, onion, carrots and water.
5. Boil until vegetables are fork tender – about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
6. In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine milk, flour and pepper. Shake well.
7. Stir flour mixture into meat mixture until well blended.
8. Stir in cheese. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes longer or until sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
9. To serve, place 2 potato halves on each plate and mash the middle somewhat. Spoon about one third cup of the meat mixture over each potato half.
10. Cover and refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.